Friday, April 09, 2010

Rick Warren and Calvinism


This post is for those who think that Rick Warren's beliefs on Calvinism (John Piper said that Warren is a four-pointer) are a recent ... that he is changing beliefs for this conference or to speak at the conference.

Quotes from Rick Warren on some of his theological leanings: "An Interview with Rick Warren: A Purpose Driven Phenomena" in Modern Reformation, volume 13, number 1, January/February, 2004.

"Theologically, I am a monergist and firmly hold to the five solas of the Reformation. It's pretty obvious from the book that I believe in foreknowledge, predestination, ... and, especially, concurrence--that God works in and through every detail of our lives, even our sinful choices, to cause his purposes to prevail."

"I'm a fourth-generation Baptist pastor. My great grandfather was led to Christ by Charles Spurgeon, attended Spurgeon's college, and was sent by Spurgeon to America to pastor. So I guess God predestined me to be a Baptist!"

"In closing, I'd like to mention that I have personally benefited from the writings of a number of the Alliance council, especially D. A. Carson, Michael Horton, Mark Dever, Gene E. Veith, Phillip G. Ryken, Mark Talbot, and R. C. Sproul. I'd like to commend them and thank them for their works."

"I read every issue of MR, and I think it is a magazine that is needed in our world today."

7 comments:

Ken Silva said...

Quotes from Rick Warren on some of his other theological leanings:

“Now I don’t agree with everything in everybody’s denomination, including my own. I don’t agree with everything that Catholics do or Pentecostals do, but what binds us together is so much stronger than what divides us,” he said. “I really do feel that these people are brothers and sisters in God’s family. I am looking to build bridges with the Orthodox Church, looking to build bridges with the Catholic Church,….”


“The Church, in all its expressions—Catholic, Evangelical, Pentecostal, Protestant and many others—has 2.3 billion followers.”

This negates, at least sola fide, sola gratia, and soli Deo gloria. I wonder, which Rick Warren do we believe?

David A. Croteau said...

I think it might be appropriate to paraphrase a Rocky movie: if you see three of him, hit the one in the middle.

Ken Silva said...

David,

I'm definitely a fan of the Rocky movies so I remember Pauly saying that to Rock.

Unfortunately in Warren's case I'm seeing "double"; as in double-minded. ;-)

Unknown said...

D.A. Croteau. Ever notice that every good theologian goes by their initials?

Hey Doc, where's this next post? Are you busy or something? : )

James Sundquist said...

TITHING & RICK WARREN

I invite you to view this film documentary on tithing, but Dr. Russell Kelly, who did his Phd on Tithing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYFkEh5bEXw

He wrote this commentary on Rick Warren re tithing and compulsory covenants:

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/id217.html

Speaking of Rick Warren, I invite you to view this film documentary on him:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9y9ly6YvCw

And this investigation re his claims that is PDL book is the "best-selling non-fiction hardback book in history":

https://stomson2001.wordpress.com/2014/03/01/false-claims-from-the-purpose-driven-movement/

Sincerely in Christ,

James Sundquist
http://www.eaglemasterworksproductions.com

Samantha12 said...

Greeting David and at first I would like to leave my hearty commend to you for this type of knowledgeable outcome.Rick Warren is surely a wise and most talking person to many of us. He contribute so much to Christianity exploration and reformation though some of contribution tend to huge criticism. while diving into to your interview on modern reformation and the views you explained are incredibly praiseworthy. And surely I believe reformation sometimes get priority for those who are deviated from their inner faith for some practical or else reasons. I would like to mention it's an outcome of stress or distress situation and we have to take some recovery of meditation and medication. Very recently I was experienced a channel Elim Counselling Services that charmed me much for its spiritual issues. So, I inspired to share here hoping someone might be interested to get in touch and love to grab the new experience.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIG-L6aX2mYk5nvAVl9cCHw?view_as=subscriber

Dick Weston said...

I believe Rick Warren is responsible for spueing lies about Biblical worship, thus leading so many local churches astray. Largely from his book 'The purpose driven church". Every main-line church I know subscribed and organized home bible studies to follow Warren's purpose driven church methods. Since that time, they all have reformed to: No Sunday best attire, they wear jeans, t-shirts, or open collar w/shirt hanging out. The old sacred pulpit become a stage where most anything goes. The music changed from old church hymns to contemporary music of soft rock to hard rock bands. Church collected the hymn books, took out old wooded pews and stored away somewhere. Metal chair set up and modern decor replaced any they deemed out dated. Many replaced the organ and piano with electric guitar, drums, etc. Pastors rarely lead worship, instead a team of 4-6 youth stand across the stage and yell into a mic. and move to the beat of the music. It is so loud you cannot hear anything else. I could go on, but you get the message. The sad thing is most people love it, because they love casual, no commitment, anything goes, dancing in the isle. Worship is not casual!