Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Analyzing Six Bible Translations: Part 18-Negatives-Using "No" and "Not" Awkwardly

Psalm 25:7
ESV Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for the sake of your goodness, O LORD!
NIV84 Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you are good, O LORD.
NIV Do not remember the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you, LORD, are good.
HCSB Do not remember the sins of my youth or my acts of rebellion; in keeping with Your faithful love, remember me because of Your goodness, LORD.
NASB Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions; According to Your lovingkindness remember me, For Your goodness' sake, O LORD.
NET Do not hold against me the sins of my youth or my rebellious acts! Because you are faithful to me, extend to me your favor, O LORD!

Psalm 32:9
ESV Be not like a horse or a mule, without understanding, which must be curbed with bit and bridle, or it will not stay near you.
NIV84 Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you.
NIV Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you.
HCSB Do not be like a horse or mule, without understanding, that must be controlled with bit and bridle or else it will not come near you.
NASB Do not be as the horse or as the mule which have no understanding, Whose trappings include bit and bridle to hold them in check, Otherwise they will not come near to you.
NET Do not be like an unintelligent horse or mule, which will not obey you unless they are controlled by a bridle and bit.

Matthew 7:1
ESV Judge not, that you be not judged.
NIV84 Do not judge, or you too will be judged.
NIV “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.
HCSB Do not judge, so that you won't be judged.
NASB Do not judge so that you will not be judged.
NET Do not judge so that you will not be judged.

John 14:1
ESV "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.
NIV84 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
NIV "Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.
HCSB "Your heart must not be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in Me.
NASB "Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me.
NET "Do not let your hearts be distressed. You believe in God; believe also in me.

Romans 6:12
ESV Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions.
NIV84 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.
NIV Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.
HCSB Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, so that you obey its desires.
NASB Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts,
NET Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its desires,

Check a: use of the negative particle
For some reason, the ESV had a difficult time in some verses with the negative particle. In Psalm 25:7 the phrase “remember not” is awkward (ESV & NIV) compared to “do not remember.” Similarly, in Psalm 32:9 the phrase “be not like” is awkward compared to “do not be like.” Despite the awkwardness of the phrase, someone might argue that since the Psalms are poetry, this is a poetic wording. However, examples from non-poetic texts from the New Testament are as revealing. Matt. 7:1 is a great example of the awkward wording only found in the ESV among the translations compared. The phrase “let not your hearts” (John 14:1) is very awkward compared to the other translations which are much clearer, smoother, and in the idiom of contemporary English. Romans 6:12 provides an example in an epistle of this same pattern. All the other translations are fine. The ESV is consistently  awkward, while the other translations were fine. The NIV had one awkward phrase (Psalm 25:7), but the rest were fine. However, the verses are obviously understandable, so the ESV will receive a zero.
  
Part 2 running totals:

ESV
NIV84
NIV
HCSB
NASB
NET
Josh 15:18
1
1
1
1
-1
1
2 Sam 20:20
1
1
1
1
1
-1
Isa 6:5
1
1
1
1
1
-1
Isa 7:14
1
1
-1
1
1
-1
Ezek 21:7
1
1
1
1
1
-1
Mal 2:16
1
-1
1
1
-1
0
Telling Time
0
1
1
1
0
1
Negative Particles
0
1
1
1
1
1
TOTALS
6
6
6
8
3
-1


No comments: