Thursday, September 22, 2011

Analyzing Six Bible Translations: Part 13-2 Samuel 20:20

2 Samuel 20:20

ESV Joab answered, "Far be it from me, far be it, that I should swallow up or destroy!
NIV84 "Far be it from me!" Joab replied, "Far be it from me to swallow up or destroy!
NIV "Far be it from me!" Joab replied, "Far be it from me to swallow up or destroy!
HCSB Joab protested: "Never! I do not want to destroy!
NASB Joab replied, "Far be it, far be it from me that I should swallow up or destroy!
NET Joab answered, "Get serious! I don't want to swallow up or destroy anything!

Check a: “far be it”
The expression “far be it, far be it from me” is likely an emphatic statement (notice the obvious repetition). While the phrase is slightly archaic (I can’t remember the last time I heard someone use it), it should communicate clear enough the meaning. However, while the NET Bible has a footnote that explains that the expression might “be coarser than the translation adopted,” the phrase “Get serious” doesn’t do the job. That phrase has a connotation of joking or jesting, which I don’t believe exists in this context. Though the HCSB’s attempt is probably not strong enough, it is much better.


Part 2 running totals:

ESV
NIV84
NIV
HCSB
NASB
NET
Josh 15:18
1
1
1
1
-1
1
2 Sam 20:20
1
1
1
1
1
-1
TOTALS
2
2
2
2
0
0

No comments: